Reporting to the Missioner for Faith Formation, and partnering with the Cathedral Ridge Board of Directors, the Executive Director oversees all operations and strategic development of the Cathedral Ridge property and facilities. The Executive Director is responsible for effectively managing Cathedral Ridge’s infrastructure, development, human and financial resources, as well as creating systems that efficiently support daily operations. The Executive Director represents Cathedral Ridge and the Office of the Bishop with external audiences locally, regionally, and nationally. The Executive Director is an active member of the Woodland Park/Colorado Springs communities and supports the vision for faith formation and evangelism across The Episcopal Church in Colorado.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Strategic Leadership
- Work with Missioner for Faith Formation and the Cathedral Ridge Board of Directors to set and execute vision/mission.
- Keep abreast of industry trends in faith formation, conference center management, camp management, and hospitality and assess the applicability of those trends and innovations to Cathedral Ridge.
- Maintain clear strategic goals; ensure operations align with goals/mission.
- Ensure continuity of high quality experience for all guests and users of Cathedral Ridge.
- Operational Leadership
- Responsible for efficient and effective organizational design and development of appropriate internal systems, processes, and controls.
- Optimize financial and human resources.
- Responsible for development, management, and control of the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Team effectively with staff in the Office of the Bishop in all administrative support areas.
- Comply with all applicable ethical and legal requirements.
- Oversee the management of infrastructure projects, maintenance, and rehabilitation of buildings.
- Ensure high quality programming is offered on a regular basis.
- Within established personnel policies, hire, terminate, evaluate, develop, and supervise staff; administer compensation programs.
Specific Position Responsibilities (continued):
- Community and Partner Outreach
- Build and enhance effective relationships with Woodland Park, Colorado Springs, and Teller County representatives.
- Engage parishes across the Diocese and other constituents in the Cathedral Ridge vision.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with program providers.
- Serve as effective public spokesperson and “face” consistently and frequently.
- Oversee all marketing and brand positioning efforts including production of marketing materials, social media, and website information.
- Revenue Generation
- Build and execute effective revenue plans.
- Actively market Cathedral Ridge facilities to parishes and other users.
- Ensure effective guest reservation systems.
- Lead philanthropic fundraising efforts for operating funds; partner with special committees and others in raising funds needed for capital projects.
- Ensure effective donor stewardship cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Board Development and Support
- Support board recruitment efforts; assist with orientation.
- Work with President to ensure effective governance structures.
- Support ongoing board development efforts.
- Attend all board meetings and ensure all Cathedral Ridge board committees have adequate staff support
- Serve as liaison to and support for the board for financial development and fundraising.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities associated with the job.
We seek a person who is an accomplished leader to oversee and strengthen the operational infrastructure in ways that will enable Cathedral Ridge to grow into its potential and realize its mission of transforming lives through relationship with God among people from all over the diocese, The Episcopal Church, and the world.
The Center at Cathedral Ridge seeks an accomplished Executive Director to coordinate staff, facilities, nourishment, and land that constantly exceeds guests’ expectations and enables Cathedral Ridge to provide sanctuary for all.
Qualified applicants will have experience and/or traits in these areas:
Commitment to Mission
- A passion for the mission of Cathedral Ridge as a place of meeting, retreat, and spiritual formation.
- Knowledge of the theology and values of The Episcopal Church strongly preferred; commitment to supporting those values and principles required.
- Ability to work in a position of leadership and in partnership with a governing board using good judgment in decision-making and other matters, as appropriate.
- Minimum of 5 years of managerial and leadership experience, preferably within a not-for-profit organization.
- Relevant experience managing a complex, multi-faceted environment in the service/hospitality industry.
- Experience in representing entities with external constituents and building effective long-term relationships.
- Business acumen to ensure that revenue and expenses are effectively maintained within the operating budget.
- Knowledge of working with a governing board.
- Ability to focus on details and manage projects to completion.
- Some knowledge of physical facility development and maintenance.
- Experience leading, motivating, caring for staff wellness and effectiveness.
- Well-developed interpersonal and human resource management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in hiring, developing, affirming, and retaining employees.
- Marketing experience and creativity in approaching and closing new business opportunities.
- An understanding of how to build networks to attract funds, not-for-profit organizations, volunteers, and broad public and community support.
- Demonstrated success in securing financial gifts from diverse funding sources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- A graceful change agent who can implement improvements with minimal disruption.
- Even temperament and comfortable working at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Strong listening, and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and ecclesial diplomatic skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- Willingness to travel around the diocese as needed including weekends.
This is a full-time exempt position with salary, medical, and retirement benefits, commensurate with the guidelines of the Diocese for clergy and lay compensation. The Cathedral Ridge Executive Director will also be provided housing on the grounds of the facility.
We encourage interested candidates to send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. All applications are to be received via email.
The Episcopal Church in Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer.